Hi everyone,
I am sorry my blog is a little late. Here are some thoughts on cognitive theory.
I think that the constructivist theory is probably one I draw on a great deal in my teaching practices. It might be related to my preferred learning styles—NF and NT. I love creative activities and activities where I can solve problems. I find that when I can dive in and explore a topic, and play with it—testing ideas, verifying them—I’m making meaningful connections—and I remember what I’ve learned. I see the constructivist theory as providing a chance for more authentic, real world contexts for activities. If one can see a real world application, it is typically more meaningful, even for very abstract concepts.
When I was learning trigonometry, there was little opportunity to do more than memorize the formulas. I recall having difficulty although I love math---because I didn’t see a real world connection for the concepts—and so it was hard for me to make sense of what I was learning. I wish there had been an opportunity to apply these concepts in some way that made sense to me.
I find that typically projects are very helpful learning experiences. For one, they work well in collaborative contexts—and each learning style can usually find a task that he/she is attracted to. Second, there is an opportunity to learn to problem solve as a group—a very valuable skill. Students have models of other learning styles and approaches in their peers—they have a chance to see what works for other people—and to expand their own strategies. Finally, there is a finished product—something a student can take away and take pride in.
Looking forward to others’ thoughts.
Susan,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your trigonometry example. I was not a fan of math in high school. At that point I already knew I was going to be an English teacher, and I already knew how to balance a check book and make change. I never saw the practical applications for geometry or trig. Now that I am an English teacher, I forget that my students may not make the, "What good is this to me?" connection. It is reading and writing, how can it not benefit them?
I have been struggling with some of the components of grammar I am expected to teach. Many of my students are not going to eat this weekend. Do they really need to know what an imperative sentence is?
It is time for me to really think about what I am "expected" to teach, and what my students need to know. There is a balance in there somewhere.
Amy
Hi Amy,
ReplyDeleteI was an English major--my first love is writing. Despite this, I don't think I really learned grammar in a formal way until I worked as a copyeditor in a publishing house. I needed to edit manuscripts and this authentic way of learning really worked for me--I found that the exercises I had as a student were not situated or tied to any real world application so they weren't that interesting to me.
My personal thinking (just my opinion) is that knowing the names of grammatical or syntactical structures is probably not that important--I find that students learn about grammar from reading a lot -- and seeing examples of writing samples where there are errors or weaknesses and where the writing is error free. Then they can see for themselves why the concepts are important.
Thanks so much for writing to my blog. I enjoyed your posting.
Dr. Krauss
ReplyDeleteCognitive theory is a very effective tool. I wish my teachers had used it in their teaching while I was growing up. I am a visual learner, and tend to learn and retain information better with images. This is one reason I have so many videos and interactive smart board lessons for my students. I teach best the way I learn.
Projects are a very good idea to enhance students’ creativity and knowledge. I just started a non-fiction research project with my students, and at the end of the project they have to create a mini book of their research. The book needs to mirror a non-fiction book, complete with table of contents, index, and a glossary. In order to help them with the process, I am modeling the steps to my students. The cognitive tools like concept - maps and virtual tours will help students get a better understanding of their project.
Hi Preeti,
ReplyDeleteThat project you are doing with your students sounds fun and interesting. I think it will also connect well with the constructivist theory which we will look at this week.
Thank you for posting to my blog.
Susan